Leather belts are such versatile accessories. They help you make a stylish statement and are perfect for tying everything together from a casual outfit to a more sophisticated ensemble. It doesn't take much to keep your leather belts in mint condition. To make things that much easier, you can use the same simple steps that we featured in last month's blog on How to Clean your Leather Handbags.
The key product to use if Liquid Soap Flakes.
Just as we recommended for leather handbags, you can hand wash your leather belts about once or twice a year. Liquid Soap Flakes contain only pure soap with no additives or fragrances, making them a great choice for those with sensitive skin. They do not contain palm oil as the soap is derived from rapeseed and sunflower oil. Liquid Soap Flakes is well-suited to washing leather belts as it doesn't dry out the leather.
You'll need a basin, a towel and some Liquid Soap Flakes.
1. If you look closely to its left, you can see that the belt we used had a grey fungal 'bloom'.
2. Use a basin in which you do your regular hand washing. Pour in a capful of Liquid Soap Flakes. Then immerse the belt in some warm water.
3. Wash the belt as you would a delicate fabric like silk or wool. You can remove light dirt stains by gently rubbing the soiled areas.
4. Almost immediately you will see spectacular results as the Liquid Soap Flakes goes to work and washes away the dirt. Once you are done washing the belt, rinse it in some fresh clean water.
5. Then dry it using a soft fluffy towel and leave it to air-dry overnight.
6. The finished article should look as good as new!